MHTE:0831K123K4691000
 
 

Çome

History of the house

Access

Services

Activities

The island

Photo Gallery

Contact

 
 


  THE HISTORY OF THE STONE HOUSE

1. In 1650 2-3 families with the lastname Asprogerakas arrived in Lefkada from Crete and settled in the village of Sfakiotes. In 1730 nine families (seven with the lastname Asprogerakas and two with the lastname Louvros) moved west to the slope of the mountain Pyrgos forming the upper side of the village which later became the village Asprogerakata, a name deriving from the name Asprogerakas.

One of those villagers was Panos Asprogerakas who set the foundation of the house, as we see it today. (The History of the Island of Lefkas ,by P.G. Rontogiannis) The first floor as it is today was used as residence and consisted of a sitting room on the east side (where you could see a fireplace, a sink to wash the dishes and the various pots and plates), two bedrooms and a living room on the west side.

Apart from the main entrance (east side) the ground floor of the house used to communicate with the upper floor through an interior wooden staircase called kataraktis (as it is today). This helped keep the family members safe during the night and during bad weather conditions that could occur.

Because of the excellent climate throughout the year the ground floor served as a storage space for the various products of the year such as olive oil, cheese, olives, beans and grain etc. Even meat, cooked or raw food could be preserved for some days. They used to keep them in cotton bags or specially manufactured containers which allowed the air in. Those containers were made of cotton and later of a special wire. The space underneath the terrace was used for keeping the animals safe during night or bad weather. Otherwise they kept the animals in the garden near the house.

The w.c. used to be at a corner of the garden something that was common in several places in Greece during the last century. On the west side of the house there was a path through which one had access to the main road as well as the other houses of their relatives which were on the north. 2. After the death of Panos Asprogerakas in 1815 the house came to his son and heir Nikos Asprogerakas. The interior of the house stayed the same apart from some small repairs.

3. In 1897 the house came to Panos Asprogerakas from his father Nikos Asprogerakas. He renovated the interior of the house by separating the bedrooms and the living room building a wall of wood (baulks and boards) instead of reeds and mortar which was common at the time.
The property consisted of the house and the rest of the land on the east side of the road and used to be undivided, up until a path was opened on its north side for the relatives to walk through. Later on, two to three meters of land were given away to widen the road dividing this way the house from the rest of the property on the east side as it is today.

4. Panos Asprogerakas got married to Eleni Kontomihi from Kavalos. They didn/t have any children so they decided to adopt one. In 1962 they adopted Vasiliki Pargianou from Pogonia, Aitoloakarnania. Vasiliki got married to Nikolaos Koultoukis. After the death of Panos (17.1.1980) and Eleni (11.10.1980) Vassiliki, who lived in Australia with her husband and their two children, inherited the house.

5. On 23.3.2001 the house was bought by his present owner Ioannis Dimitrios Siastathis and Maria Panou Kontogiorgi. Both the interior and exterior of the house have been renovated preserving however its traditional features.The owners never cease to improve it, helping it preserve its traditional character and meet at the same time modern life expectations and standards.

Asprogerakata 2005
 
thestonehouse thestonehouse
thestonehouse thestonehouse